Tuesday, August 21, 2007

the spirit of giving

I know I'm a bit behind on this story, over a year, actually, but Jake was just telling me the other day about Warren Buffet's philosophy on philantrophy and his take on this idea of the genetic lottery vs. the self made man and I think it's really fascinating. Wow. $40 billion dollars. That's huge. The Gates Foundation is certainly worlds apart from any other philanthropic organization out there today. Being a teacher, I can see what a tremendous impact they have had on urban education with thier New Vision schools. Cheers to Warren Buffett, the Gates and the possiblility that this will surge a new wave in foundations and philanthropic activity. I only hope others don't go with the hording it away for some 30 years model.

Here is the link to the Fortune magazine article that announced this donation:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/25/magazines/fortune/charity1.fortune/

No comments: